History of the ENT Department
The ENT department in Coimbatore Medical College was started in 1966, with a professor and two assistant professor.
Ever since it has been the only tertiary care referral centre for the neighboring districts of Erode,Tirupur, Nilgris and for the nearby state of Kerala particularly for patients from Palghat.
The department gives a comprehensive care in Ear, Nose, Throat and Head & Neck surgery both for adults and children, which include both Emergency and Elective services. It’s the only department where coablation and laser has been used for the first time in all the government colleges of tamilnadu. We take pride in being a fully equipped department with advanced instruments.
Instilling knowledge and love for the subject in the young minds has been one of our many assets. We help budding ENT surgeons blossom with our academic activities.
Type of courses offered :
Name of the courses offered - M.B.,B.S, and M.S.[ENT]
For Eligibility, Course duration , Sanctioned number of seats, Affiliated University, Selection Procedure , University Examination details etc. see COURSES
PERIODIC ACADEMIC ACTIVITIES HELD IN THE DEPARTMENT
The learning experience in our department has never been confined to a classroom. Mastering the basics and exploring beyond, our students get chiseled to become better each day in the subject, through our:
Daily op and ward discussion for UG AND PG
Weekly two PG classes and one case presentation
Journal club for PGs every two weeks on Thursday
Regular clinical symposiums for undergraduates and postgraduates
PRIZES AND AWARDS CONSTITUTED BY THE DEPARTMENT
Laurels always bloom along the path of good work.
Prize exams are conducted for the Undergraduates in association with the AOI, Coimbatore for the Past 13 Years for the Coimbatore District Medical Colleges
PRIZES AND AWARDS WON
An award from AIDS SOCIETY for maximum number of Surgeries done in CMCH for HIV Patients in 2011.
CMEs’, Workshops / conferences conducted by the department (past 5 years / year wise)
1. MESCON live surgery workshop with guest faculty as Professor Milind Kirtane, and Dr.Nupoor Kapoor from Mumbai in 2010.
2. Live temporal bone dissection workshop by Dr.H.Vijayendra on 12.9.2010.
3. Live surgery workshop by Professor.S.K.Kacker, retired ENT Director from AIIMS on 17/18-09-2011
4. Our Department was the regional centre for DNB practical examinations in 2010
5. Our Department is the regional training centre for NPPCD
Guest lectures by invited faculty from reputed institutions at our Department:
1. Prof.Dr.Alok Thakar MS,FRCS,AIIMS New Delhi on 7th August 2010.
2. Dr.Vineeth Paleri MS,FRCS.New Castle –Upon-Tyne University,U.K.
3. Dr.Balakrishnan MS,FRCS.
4. Prof.Dr.S.Gopalakrishnan from Jipmer on 19 dec 2010.
5. Dr.Anbarasu MD RD on CT PNS.
6. Dr Manoj MS FRCS
We have started a Joint clinical society and Journal club meeting along with PSG Institute of Medical Science on the last Friday of every month.
The essence of our work is to achieve perfection. Along the way in our stride towards perfection we have achieved excellence in the services we offer.
Services Offered include:
No of units in the department
Units I – Monday, Wednesday, Friday
Units II- Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday
O.P Days & Timings -
All days [Except Sunday] : 7. 30AM to 12 noon
I.P Unit & Admission day (Unit wise) -
Unit I – Mon, Wed & Friday,
Unit II – Tues, Thurs & Saturday
Bed Strength of Department - 42 Beds
Average O.P - 200 - 250/ day
Average I.P - 40/day
Operating theatre : 4 days in a week three GA tables concurrently running and one LA table
Elective surgeries including micro ear surgeries
- FESS and all ENT emergencies
Types of surgeries performed
- Coblation sleep apnea and laryngeal surgeries
- Laser laryngeal and pharyngeal surgeries
- Facial Nerve Decompression
- Phono Surgery for Vocal Cord Paralysis
- Adenoidectomy - Gromet Insertion
- Exision of Tumors in Pharynx
- Parapharyngeal Tumour Excision
- Excision of Benign Tumour Nose
24 hr emergency services
Special Clinics conducted by the Department
Instruments Available in our department
- Coblator Arthrocare model
- Camera ( Stryker HD/3 chip
- Fibreoptic Nasopharyngoscope
- Ventilating Rigid bronchoscope paediatric & adult
Chief Ministers Comprehensive Health Insurance scheme
Eligibility - Income certificate/Smart card & Ration Card
List of Surgical Procedures covered -
- TN0572 : Stapedectomy - Veingraft
- TN0575 : Facial Nerve Decompression
- TN0576 : Temporal Bone Excision
- TN0577 : Microlaryngeal Surgery
- TN0578 : Phono Surgery for Vocal Cord Paralysis
- TN0579 : Laryngo Fissurectomy
- TN0580 : Adenoidectomy - Gromet Insertion
- TN0581 : Uvulo-Palato-Pharyngoplasty.
- TN0582 : Exision of Tumors in Pharynx
- TN0583 : Parapharyngeal Tumour Excision
- TN0584 : Excision of Benign Tumour Nose
- TN0585 : Angiofibroma Nose
- TN0587 : Endoscopic Sinus Surgery
- TN0944 : Bronchoscopy Foreign Body Removal
- TN0945 : FB Cricopharynx, Esophagus
Procedure to get the facility in Govt. Hospitals:
Patient should bring the ration card with their name and the CM insurance card