DEPARTMENT OF MEDICINE
Department of Medicine- COURSES and TRAININGS
- 1966 – The Department of Medicine was started along with the Coimbatore Medical College.
- The college was established when G D Naidu, an acclaimed scientist and industrialist , donated 153 acres of his land to the Tamil Nadu state government under the Chief Ministership of Thiru K. Kamaraj
There is a provision for any MBBS /PG doctors to undergo special Training in any department on payment of nominal fee.
- Post Graduate degree Courses – MD General Medicine
- Under graduate degree courses - MBBS
- Internship / Special Training /Elective-Observership
- Candidates who have completed the prescribed course in other Medical Colleges recognized by Medical Council of India including candidates from Russia/China etc who have passed the screening test conducted by the National Board can do their internship at Coimbatore Medical College Hospital with the approval of TN.Dr.MGR Medical University/Government of Tamilnadu as non-stipendiary candidate.
- Special Training
There is a provision for any Medical Student including foreign nationals to do their elective posting of their choice as observership at Coimbatore Medical College Hospital on payment of nominal fee
For Eligibility, course duration, Affiliated University, Selection Procedure, Examination details please see COURSES
Sanctioned Number of Seats
Post Graduate -19 seats recognised by MCI
Total number of PG’S Undergoing PG - 57
Under graduate - 150 seats recognised by MCI
Post Graduate Academic Schedule.
||Ward rounds and discussions
|Mondays /Tuesdays /Thursdays/Fridays.
||Clinics by Senior consultants in Internal Medicine and Sub Specialities
||Morning – Journal Club, conferences, Medical Symposia, Weekly Physicians Conference (On rotation).
||Dissertation review and Periodic examinations in theory / practical
Under graduate Academic Schedule .
| I clinical year
|Introductory- Theory1 hour/week
|Theory-1 hour /week
|II clinical year
|Systemic medicine-Theory 2 Hours /week
5 hours /week including Therapeutics.
Modular Teaching - All relevant specialties are involved in teaching topics of common interest
Symposium by students and moderated by faculty
| OP and Ward Clinics - 3 hours / day in Medicine for all years
Periodic Academic Activities in the department of Medicine.
Physician conferences, Guest lectures, Journal club discussions, Continuing Medical education programmes.
All Sub Specialities Periodically Present Interesting Cases at the Physicians Conference Held on Wednesdays Every Week at Coimbatore Medical College Hospital.
Research and Publications .
- Neurocysticercosis presenting as Isolated wall – eyed mono ocular internuclearOpthalmoplegia with controversive ocular tilt reaction – Journal of Neurosciences in rural practise ,Jan – April 2012,
- Thyrotoxic periodic paralysis –A case report in Indian Journal Of Endocrinology and Metabolsim ,2011,vol 15,Supplement 2,
- Dystrophic Calcinosis a rare manifestation of dermatomyositis – A case report in Kerala Medical journal .
- Mega oesophagus – an Atypical Presentation - A case report in Kerala Medical journal .
- AskinTumor – Pictorial CME in JAPI in May 2009.
- Hepatic Profile of Type 2 Diabetes in a tertiary care hospital – in JAPI ,Aug 2008 .
- Extensive intra cranial calcification and choreoathetoid Movements in a case of Idiopathic HypoParatthyroidism Case Report in Kerala Medical journal June 2009 .
- A case of Posterior reversible encephalopathy syndromes – A case report by Partheesh in Kerala Medical journal .
- A calcified left sided Pericardial Cyst in A Middle aged Women – a case report in Kerala Medical journal April 2009 .
Papers presented in National Conferences
Papers presented in TAPICON 2012
- A case of Aortic arch Aneurysm presenting as Lung Abscess
- A case of Takayasu’s Arteritis presenting as carotidynia
- A case of Thalassemia with ischemic stroke
- A case of Pneumopericardium
- A case of Evan’s Syndrome
- A case of Portal Vein Thrombosis
- A case of SLE presenting with Cardiac Tamponade
- A case of Mixed connective tissue disorder (sclerhupus- a MCTD)
- A case of Vascular Events in a young age
- A case of Spontaneous Tumor lysis syndrome
- A case of Primary Sjogren’s Syndrome
- A case of Rifampicin indued Thrombocytopenia
- A case of Hypokalemic periodic Paralysis in Renal tubular Acidosis
- A case of Silicotuberculosis
Awards in the Medicine Department .
- Ravichandran Memorial Gold Medal
- L Palaniappan memorial gold medal
- Vasudevan gold medal for medicine
- Dr M N Menon gold medal for best out going student.
- IMA award
- Sathyabama gold medal.
- Munirathinam Chettiar endowment Prize
- Thiru Moorthi Palaniammal endowment Award
- Sarojini raman gold medal endowment.
- Dr A R Vijayakumar endowment Prize in Medicine.
No of Medical Units – 6
O.P. days &Timings :All days in the week 7.30 a.m. to 12 noon
I.P. Unit and Admission Days (Unit Wise)
|Average O.P - New cases: 1025 per day
|Average I.P - New cases: 70 per day
Special Clinics Conducted by the Department on all days .
- Hypertension clinics
- Haemophiliac Clinics
- Diabetology clinics
- Rheumatology Clinics
- Fever clinics
- Master Health Check-up: An average of 30 – 40 cases per day is screened in this scheme.