::: Institution History : History
History
 
HISTORY OF COIMBATORE MEDICAL COLLEGE AND HOSPITAL 


 
 


          As an elegant landmark today, Coimbatore Medical College Hospital is situated on Coimbatore to Trichy national highway (NH-67) closer to the Coimbatore Railway station.



 
 
 
          Allopathic medical facilities were available for the residents of Coimbatore as early as 1850, well thought-out by distinguished philanthropists of yester years like Thiru. Thiruvenkatasamy Mudaliyar, Thiru.Bashyakarulu Naidu & Thiru.Abbaiya Naidu. In 1850, a dispensary was opened in the Indian quarters of the town nearly opposite to the Koniamman temple and occupied a triangular plot of ground formed by two converging roads with residential quarters at its base (Page 427 of Madras District Gazetteer-Report on Civil Hospital and Dispensary 1900).
 
          In order to expand the facilities, the dispensary was shifted during 1908 from the above mentioned area to the present site in temporary sheds (the present DAS Quarters and adjacent Medical Records Department) opposite to the banks of a clean water lake with tiny waves, frothy and bubbly known as Valankulam. This land with an extent of 19.41 acres on the main road to Trichinopoly was given by the Naikars of Appanaikanpatty.
 
 The foundation stone of the sturdy main structure we see today in its original form was laid by H.E.Lord.Ampthil G.C.I.E Governor of Madras (Plaque seen in the present DAS quarters)
 

          Later, the hospital was opened by His Excellency The Honourable  Sir Arthur Lawley G.C.I.E.,K.C.M.C Governor of Madras on 14th July,  1909 (Plaque is  seen in the eastern wall of the portico leading to the entrance of the present administrative building).      
                        

 
           
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



          Its outer walls are of stones, the inner walls of bricks and mortar. The granite blocks were quarried in neighboring hills. Remnescent of an English manor, the doors, windows and the majestic staircase are of solid teak. The teak timber were mobilized from Malabar of Madras presidency and  the floors are of cuddapah stone (slate).




 
 


          The structure has a graceful portico with a triangular apex clock tower visualized over four directions. The ground floor has eastern and western wings with a hall way from which the gracious staircase leads to an upper floor. A verandah runs all around the wings on either side. While one wing used to be the maternity ward the other housed the labour rooms and operation theaters those days; the general wards were in up-stairs. This building is today the administrative block with consulting rooms and reception downstairs and offices up stairs                                                           
 
          It was built by the Public Works Department of which C O Brien was the then Chief Engineer, the architect at an estimated cost of Rs 5,77,800. Nanja Boyan, the head mason supplied bricks at six annas per hundred!!  (Nanjundapuram kuppa Boyan)

          The main hospital had a mortuary built in 1916 and a TB Block in 1937, later shifted to Perundurai. The nursing staff quarters were built in 1934.It is laudable that the striking features of the original building and its façade have been retained for one hundred years. The above information was garnered in 1989-90.
 
          This Hospital is functioning with effect from 14.7.1909;  it was then managed by Coimbatore Municipality till 31.3.1912.  On 1st April 1912 hospital was taken over by the Government, and its Golden Jubilee was celebrated during (1905-1959) i.e. on 13.8.1959. The Name of Government Headquarters hospital, Coimbatore has been changed with effect from 24.11.1969 on its conversion as Medical College Hospital it was brought under the control of Director of Medical Education, Chennai.600 010.

            The administrative building along with the  hospital holds the fame of serving the society for more than 100 years and recently in 2009, we celebrated the centinary year . 

 

                                  Origin of Coimbatore Medical College
 
 
The Coimbatore Medical School was started in 1914 in separate buildings in the present Govt. Arts College campus. As per the records in the Archives it was a square building with an open court yard in the centre, teak wood doors and panels, stone floors, brick and mortar walls, glazed stone ware sinks and iron trusses. In 1930 the medical school was shifted to Calicut, then part of Madras Presidency and the existing building became the History department of the Government Arts College. The present Medical College was started in 1966
 
          
 
         The golden jubilee celebration of the hospital was inaugurated by HIS Excellency Sri.Bishnuram Medhi, Governor of Madras, Presided by The Honorable Sri.M.A.Manickavelu B.A.,BL, Minister  of Health and Revenue, on 13th August 1959
 
 
    
AFFILIATION
  • Coimbatore Medical College, was started during the year 1966 with an intake of 50 students.  The college was affiliated to Madras University, Madras from 1966 to 1982 January.
  • From 1982 February to June 1988 affiliation was under Bharathiyar University Coimbatore.
  • The intake was increased from 50 students to 100 students during the year:1968
  •  100 to 110 during the year 1983
  •  100-150 during the year 2004.

During the Year 1988, Tamilnadu Dr.MGR Medical University was formed , after receiving the assent of President of India on 24th September 1987 (Governed by Act no 37 of 1987) and then onwards the affiliation of Coimbatore Medical College was under Tamilnadu Dr.MGRMedical University.

 
 
COIMBATORE MEDICAL COLLEGE HOSPITAL CAMPUS
          Includes a OPD block, Casualty block, ICU block, Specialty block, Blood Bank, Library Block, Mortuary Block, 2 storied Central Laboratory Block, T.B. & Chest Diseases block, ophthalmology block, Obstetrics & Gynaecology block, Neurology- Neuro- surgery Block and administrative block with Deans office, all located in close proximity to each other and are well connected by the inter-connecting roads. Space is adequate for all teaching activities in all the departments and also for central facilities 

 
Individual Wards
          Every ward is provided with duty doctors’ room, nursing station, nurses’ room, and examination & procedure rooms. All the units have separate teaching cubicles with the capacity of 15-20. All the wards have side laboratory.  There is a seminar hall in all the major departments.  All these areas have been provided with audiovisual aids and other teaching facilities.  Teaching facilities are adequate. Toilet facilities for both male and female ward.
Central Casualty Service:
          Casualty works round the clock and managed by two CMO’s and Six staff nurses and one male nursing assistant in three shifts, i. e. 7 am – 1 pm, 1 pm-7pm & 7pm-7am. It has six zero delay beds with monitors and other resuscitation facility and fourteen beds for observations. Adjoining to this facility there is an air-conditioned equipped septic OT.  Specialists are available on call.  The casualty services for Obstetrics & Gynaecology are located in a separate block where labor room also is located. Total 21 beds are available in casualty area.  Central oxygen supply, central suction, defibrillator, pulse oximeter, ambu bag, disaster trolleys are available. Crash cots are available.  Casualty OT is used for minor surgery and SOT is used for infected cases like crush injuries. Another emergency theatre is fully equipped with anaesthesia, resuscitation and surgical equipment and is located behind the administrative block (Dean’s office) at a distance of around 50 mtrs from the casualty and 100 mtrs from surgical wards, and surgical emergency units.
 
 Registration and Medical Record Section:
          
There are 3 computerized  registration counters, 1 for male , 1 for female patients and 1 for children patients. There are 2 computerized registration counters for old cases and for indoor admissions. All the OPD’s computerized registration counters and Medical Record Department are  interconnected. There are 6 clerks. 
 
Medical record Department is having adequate staff. ICD X Classification of diseases is followed for indexing.  Follow up service is available.


 
Statistics
 

This Hospital is functioning with effect from 14.7.1909 it was then managed by Coimbatore Municipality till 31.3.1912.  On 1st April 1912 hospital was taken over by the Government, and its Golden Jubilee was celebrated during (1905-1959) i.e. on 13.8.1959. The extent of the hospital site is about -19.41 acres,
The Name of Government Headquarters hospital, Coimbatore has been changed with effect from 24.11.1969 on its conversion as Medical College Hospital it was brought under the control of Director of Medical Education, Chennai.10


 
THE HOSPITAL CAMPUS

The hospital campus includes an OP block, a casualty block, ICU block, specialty block, blood bank, library block, mortuary block, a two storied central laboratory block, other ward blocks, an administrative block: all in close proximity to each other and are well connected.
The total built up area of the hospital is 1,81,044.27 Sq.mt

Total floor area available of the hospital hostel: 9869 Sq.mt


 
GENERAL INFORMATION
 
  Hospital established during  1909
  College started during  1966
 Average daily O.P turn over  6000
  Sanctioned Inpatients beds  1020
 Area   19.41 acre
 Departments   30
 Buildings  75
 Built-up Area of Hospital  1, 81, 044.27 Sq.M
 
STAFF STRENGTH
 
 
Name of the Post Sanctioned   
Sr. Civil Surgeon
Asst. Surgeon
Nursing Staff
Ministerial staff
Tech. Staff
Para Medical Staff
Basic Servants
       88
      221
      207
      134
       15
      237
      376
 
 Laboratory Technicians  20
 Laboratory Assistants  26
 Laboratory Attendants  12
  
NURSING STAFFS


 Nursing Superintendent:
 Grade I  0 1
 Grade II  04
  Grade III  24
 
Staff nurses  207
ANM 0 2
Maternity Assistant  02
Female Nursing Assistant  09
Female Hospital worker
 
33
Female Sanitary Workers  32
 Cooks  07
 

 
Courses Admission per year Present position
M.B.B.S 150 774
PG 85 146
NURSING STUDENTS 40 421
PARA MEDICAL 347 124
TOTAL   1434
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
CLINICAL MATERIAL DATA

 
Area Daily average
O.P.D. attendance      old/new 3500/2500
Total OP per day 6000 Pts
Casualty attendance 100-130Pts
Bed occupancy 100 %
Operative work
Number of major surgical operations
 
10-15
Number of minor surgical operations 5-15
Number of normal deliveries 16-20
Number of caesarian Sections 5-9
Radiological Investigations
X-ray Routine
 
100-150
X-Ray Special 3-5
Ultrasonography 50-55
Digital X-rays 120
Conventional X-Rays 150
C.T. Scan 20-25
MRI per day 10
Cobalt Therapy per day 60-65
Special Investigations 5-7 per week
Bio-Chemistry 750 – 800
Microbiology 45-55
Serology 40-55
Parasitology 5-10
Haematology 580-620
Histopathology 15-20
Cytopathology 5-8
 
 
ACHIEVEMENTS
  • Construction of new, sophisticated lecture halls
  •  Internet enabled library with plenty of books
  • Trained 5000 medical professionals and the selection process continues.
  • Largest referral  tertiary care  hospital.
  • Caters about 3500 out patients every day.
  • University Gold medalists.
  • All India Entrance Examination Rank holders.
  • Participation in National Quiz Competition.
  • Comparative statements of academic results-par excellence.
  • Participation in inter and intra medical sport events and had bagged several medals.
  • Obtained placements in various reputed hospitals globally.
  • Well maintained Students Co-operative stores.
  • Largest nursing school and trained nurses are serving the sick throughout the World.
  • Well equipped Blood bank awaiting ISO 9002 certification.
  • Heritage Landmark of the Coimbatore city with milestones.
  • Best counseling center for HIV Positive patients with ART facility.
  • High success rate in controlling HIV transmission to fetus.
  • Government teaching hospital with a web site enabling interactive session with browsers/ students.
  • Digital x-ray
  • MRI facility at a comparatively lower cost.
  • Information technology at the Hospital Information System is well established through LAN, planning for PACS, VAN, Tele-medicine hub.
  • e-communication/e-medicine/ e-governance participation.
  • Computerization of Medical Records Department –first of its kind in the state.
  • Computerized issuance of OP slips/ IP diet slips.
  • Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) Dmch –distance education programme effectively functioning and had gained reputation.
  • Operation research programme for Integrated Disease Surveillance at Coimbatore Medical College Hospital.
  • Effective implementation of all national programme.
  • Working towards paperless office procedure.
  • Facilitated District Collector’s direction to sell the products of Self Help Group (Tsunami affected Children).
  • Annual NSS Camp.
  • 97 years of service to sick population.
  • Modern kitchen supplies diet (served hot) to patients.
  • Well established - MCI standard CSSD.
  • Played a major roll in national programme for Leprosy control, TB control and Blindness control.
  • Possess Motivated community of Eye donors, body donors and blood donors.
  • Out standing academic performance by the ‘school of nursing’ students. School of Nursing ranks first in curricular and extra curricular performance.
  • Career guidance cell for students-PLAB, IELTS, CGFNS, etc.,
  • Eco friendly institution -Participated in “save noyyal” yathra organized by siruthuli. Planted several tree saplings and the process continues in the college campus….
 

Designed & Developed by

This site can be best viewed in 1024x768 screen resolution.