DEPARTMENT OF OPHTHALMOLOGY
Ophthalmology department of Coimbatore Medical College was started in the year 1966.
We have an uptake of 150 MBBS students every year. Postgraduate coursesin MS and DO were started in May 2003 with an annual intake of 2 MS and 1DO students. From 2010 the postgraduate intake was increased to 3 MS and 1 DO.
The teaching faculty of our department includes 1 Professor, 1 Associate Professor and 4 Assistant Professors/ Tutors.
Our Department is well equipped with following instruments:
- Phaco machine
- Anterior & Posterior Vitrectomy
- Advancedoperating microscopes with video attachment
- Ultrasound Biomicroscope
- Octopus field analyzer
- Endo laser for diabetic retinopathy
- Slit lamp with Applanation tonometry
- A-scan & biometry
- Indirect ophthalmoscope
- Nd:YAG laser
- Green/Argon laser
PRIZES AND AWARDS WON:
DR.KALANCHIRANI MS PG WON ALL INDIA OPHTHALMIC QUIZ AT SANKARA NETRALAYA, CHENNAI.
DR.SOWKAT ALI AND DR.MOHANAPRIYA MS PG GOT SELECTED FOR ALL INDIA OPHTHALMIC QUIZ TO BE HELD AT DELHI.
CMEs , WORKSHOPS /CONFERENCES CONDUCTED BY THE DEPARTMENT
CME ON NEUROPHTHALMOLOGY 2010.
NO. OF UNITS IN THE DEPARTMENT: 2
O.P DAYS AND TIMINGS:
ALL DAYS expt. Sundays
TIMINGS: 8 AM – 12 Noon
I.P. DAYS AND TIMINGS:
ALLWORKING DAYS : 8 AM – 2 PM& Emergency admissions at any time
AVERAGE - O. P
3800 cases/ month
AVERAGE - I.P.
225 patients / month
Type of Surgeries Performed:
- Phaco with foldable IOL
- SICS with rigid IOL
- Squint Surgery
- Pterygium surgery with Amniotic Membrane Transplantation
- Lid tear repair
- Ptosis Correction
- Ectropion&Entropion Correction
- Rupture Globe repair
- Corneal /Scleral tear –repair
- Ocular FB removal
- Chalazion/cyst excision
- Intravitreal Antibiotics /Steroid /anti VEGF injections
- Nd-YAG capsulotomy
- Nd-YAG iridotomy
- Nd-YAG vitreolysis
- Argon/Green laser for photocoagulation
- Cryotheraphy for absolute glaucoma
List of Laboratory Test:
- Retina Clinic
- Glaucoma clinic
- Cornea Clinic
- ROP Screening
- Uvea clinic
- Squint &Neuro Ophthalmology clinic
CT orbit, MRI Brain /Orbit
USG-Abd, ELISA, Thyroid profile, lipid profile,etc.,