DEPARTMENT OF ORTHOPAEDICS
Coimbatore Medical College and Hospital
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery started in 1965 at Coimbatore Medical College Hospital.
24 Hrs. Fracture Service started at Trauma ward from 1985.
Type of Course:
Medical – UG – MBBS
PG – M.S. Ortho
1. Teaching MBBS students from 1969.
2. M.S. Orthopaedic Surgery course started from 2008.
PLEASE ALSO SEE COURSES
PERIODIC ACADEMIC ACTIVITIES HELD IN THE DEPARTMENT
Post Graduate Departmental Teaching meeting conducted Every Tuesday.
Journal Club Meeting on Every Wednesday.
Several papers presented in Tamilnadu Orthopedic Association Meeting (TNOA) & Indian Orthopedic Association Conference (IOACON).
PRIZES / AWARDS:
Our post graduates won the Gold Medal in post Graduate quiz programme.
Conducted by Tamilnadu Orthopaedic Association (TNOA 2011) – MADURAI.
CMEs / WORKSHOPS
1. CME on Current Trends in Joints Replacement Surgery & Live Demonstration of Total Knee Replacement conducted on 27.3.2010 at Coimbatore Medical College Hospital.
2. CME on "Thromboprophylaxis in Orthopaedic Surgery" during September 2011 at Coimbatore Medical College Hospital.
Number of units - 03
Out patient Days / Timings - Monday – Saturaday
7.30 a.m. 12.00 p.m.
In patient Unit / Admission Day - I Unit - Monday, Thursday
II Unit – Tuesday, Friday
III Unit – Wednesday, Saturday
Sundays – On Rotation.
Bed Strength : Ortho Ward – 90 Beds
Trauma ward: 15 Beds
Average Out patients : 422 / day
Average In patients : 200 every month.
TYPES OF SURGERIES PERFORMED
1. Trauma Surgery including paediatric trauma (fracture fixation surgeries- all types)
2. Arthroplasty. (Joint replacement surgeries)
4 Spinal Surgeries
5. Deformity Correction.
6. Limb reconstruction / Lengthening procedures.
1. Spine Clinic started from July 2008 and functions on Mondays/Thursdays. All types of spinal cord problems, including spinal injuries, back pain are given special Treatment.
SPECIAL FOCUS: Coimbatore Medical College Hospital Dean (in-charge) V. Kumaran (right) and orthopaedic surgeon S. Dhandapani (second right) talking to a spine surgery patient during the opening of the Spine Clinic of the hospital on Friday. Courtesy: THE HINDU dated 19.07.2008
2. CURE – Club Foot correction (non-surgical) programmer – started from December 2011. 50 children enrolled and benefitted. This programmer functions on Every Thursday
3. Joint Replacement Surgery, patients are admitted on working days from Mondays to Saturdays.
a. Total Hip Replacement.
b. Total Knee Replacement.
C. Elbow Replacement Surgery is done.
4. Chief Minister’s comprehensive Health Insurance Scheme – conducted at our Department (CMCHIS – TN).All Types of fracture fixation Surgeries performed and special care being given 30 beds specially attached for this programme.